Tuesday, January 23, 2018

Self-Reliance

I belong to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints... in other words, I am Mormon.

One of the great things about my church is that there are always learning experiences available.  I am currently taking a class called "Personal Finances for Self-Reliance."  We meet once a week for three months and go through our manual.  At the end, hopefully we have learned a lot, made some new friends, and get a certificate (I know I LOVE certificates... it is an outward sign that I ACCOMPLIASHED SOMETHING GREAT!!!)

Tonight was our first meeting and I can tell you that I already feel empowered to take charge of our personal finances.

There was a quote in the manual that really impacted me and gave me the drive I needed to feel like I have control of my finances versus my finances having control of me.

"Without self-reliance one cannot exercise these innate desires to serve.  How can we give if there is nothing there?  Food for the hungry cannot come from empty shelves.  Money to assist the needy cannot come from an empty purse.  Support and understanding cannot come from the emotionally starved.  Teaching cannot come from the unlearned.  And most of all, spiritual guidance cannot come from the spiritually weak." - Marion G. Romney

Because my family and I are very service oriented, this quote put my life mission into perspective and helped me to know what I need to do in order to serve around me...

The first step is to start at home.  Fill my shelves, get my finances in order, make sure I am emotionally sound, learn as much as I can, and be sure that I am spiritually strong by building my faith upon Jesus Christ, my rock, my foundation.

Whether you are a Latter-Day Saint or not, these classes are open to you.  There are more than just the personal finances class as well.

Feel free to check out the link below for the learning materials for these classes.

Self-Reliance learning materials on lds.org

I am excited about this initiative and cannot wait to improve my spiritual and temporal self-reliance.


No comments:

Post a Comment