Monday, January 19, 2015

Martin Luther King Jr. Day - Unity Wreath Craft


A few years ago on Martin Luther King Jr. Day, I decided to do a fun project with my kids.

Martin Luther King Jr. was an amazing man with visions on a world without hate.  I am a person who truly believes that we are all equal and it saddens me that people have not been and continue to be treated differently due to race, religion, origin, rank, and more.

I was really excited about this project to celebrate Martin Luther King Jr. Day and the ideals he stood for.  I explained to my boys why we were making this wreath and what it represented.  We had a lot of fun making it and it was a great opportunity to teach my children about tolerance, equality and love towards our fellow man.



Here is how you do it thanks to DLTK's


Unity Wreath

This wreath symbolizes cultural unity. 
unity dove craft

Items Needed:

  • Brown, Yellow, Black, Tan, Red, White construction paper
  • Scissors
  • Glue

Instructions:

  • Make between 9 and 12 handprints in various colors by tracing your hand. Cut out and glue together in a circle shape.
  • DOVE:  Trace your hand with the thumb extended and 4 fingers close together onto the center of a piece of white paper. (Instead of tracing our hand for the dove, we decided to print one out).
      
    • Draw on a beak with orange marker.
    • Draw on a wing and an eye with black pencil crayon or marker.
        
  • Glue the dove onto the back of the wreath (so the wreath acts like a picture frame).  Trim the edges of the paper the dove is on as necessary.
Let us celebrate a together!

Here a picture of my mother and sister in front of the DC Martin Luther King Jr. Memorial here in Washington, DC (January 2012).


No comments:

Post a Comment