Saturday, January 24, 2015

De-Clutter 411

Are you tired of a messy house?  Do you spend too much time cleaning instead of having fun with friends and family?  If so, look no further, your problems have been solved!  For the low, never been heard of price of...

No this is not a commercial for some amazing product that will keep your house clean, neat and tidy but it is something to look at and keep in mind.  Below I have some information that may help you become more organized, and in becoming more organized your home becomes less cluttered, and in having your home less cluttered, your home becomes more clean, and in having your home more clean, you suddenly have more time!  Sounds great doesn't it?  So keep on reading for some insightful information I am learning about.

I am currently working on organizing my home room by room.  It will be a tedious job but I know it will help me stay organized and be more efficient in my day to day routines.  I find this very important being a mother of two and pretty much the one who takes care of the home at the moment with my husband being at work 60+ hours a week.

I have been reading a book titled "The Ultimate Career - The Art of Homemaking for Today" written by Daryl Hoole and Daughters.


I am rather organized already, but they have some great ideas I thought I should share with you in order to help you start your organization quest as well as myself.  The following are 10 keys they mention in the book:

1.  Do not keep EVERYTHING that comes into your house or buy everything you see even if it is a "great deal." (we have a hard time with this one, sometimes we get sucked into the "sale" signs).

2.  De-junk by making 3 piles: Discard, Give Away, Put Away

3.  Ask a friend to help you if you have a hard time getting rid of things (having someone who is unbiased to your things is great to have around because they might be able to talk some sense into you when you really don't need something but want to keep it.  I love having someone tell me their honest opinion about things, so this technique works well for me).

4.  When you have too much, get rid of it and use the following guidelines:
         -If you haven't used it in a year, get rid of it
         -Set aside an ongoing "get rid of it" bag or box
      -Teach children to de-junk by offering incentives or rewards (I tell my kids that just like the people we give food to on the street who are hungry, we need to help clothe the little kids that don't have nice clothes and give them toys because they don't have toys.  They understand it rather well and love to know that another little boy or girl will enjoy their toys and clothes.  Sometimes they come up to me on their own and tell me they do not want one of their toys anymore and want to give it to someone who does not have any toys.  It warms my heart when they do this on their own).

5.  Don't make excuses for clutter - clutter could mean you are highly interesting, talented and creative, but don't let it become an excuse.  Having things in order can result in more time for your creative pursuits (I can tell you from personal experience that the more organized I am, the cleaner my house is and the less I have to pick up at night after the kids go to bed.  So instead of picking up the house for an hour or two before I go to bed, I spend 10 minutes straightening up and then an hour and fifty minutes of quiet time were I can read, watch a show, be creative with one of my many hobbies, or spend time with my hubby.  I love it!).

6.  Keep area's free of clutter to prevent more clutter from gathering because clutter attracts more clutter. (Clutter gathers where clutter is.  Have you ever noticed that when the dishwasher is empty and ready to have people load up their dishes that all the dishes end up in the sink instead of the dishwasher just because one person left their dish in the sink?  It starts with one dish then suddenly the sink is full and the dishwasher is empty.  Clutter gathers where clutter is.  On a side note, in order to prevent this from happening in my house, which it still does on occasion, I have a "clean/dirty" magnet on my dishwasher that we use to indicate clean or dirty, so that way,there is no excuse for dirty dishes in the sink unless the dishwasher is full and washing.  It works about 85% of the time).

7.  Maintaining an orderly house is more of a matter of having good habits and less of having enough time.  It takes 3 weeks to form a good habit; 21 days to a better you.

8.  A clean house requires constant vigilance.  (I know you are tired at the end of the day but if you get in the habit of picking things up as you go like it says in the #9 and cleaning up the remaining clutter at the end of the day, you will wake up to a clean house each morning and help maintain it's cleanliness throughout the day.  Wouldn't that be amazing).

9.  Don't put it down, put it away.  Get in the habit of picking up and putting away items as you walk through your house and yard.

10.  Have a place for EVERYTHING.  Use labels, organizers, boxes, baskets, and bins.

These are just the beginning steps to an organized home that are mentioned in this book.

I hope this is a helpful step (or 10 helpful steps) in the right direction to help you, like it is helping me, to have an orderly home.

I wish you joy in your organizational journey and ask for your best wishes on mine as well.

This is a picture I found on google... it is not my garage but I hope all MY organizing will pay off this much!

1 comment:

  1. Good tips! I should print these off as we are working hard to create an organized house :)

    ReplyDelete